Allegheny Locomotive #1601 Postcard
Product Number: 400002661979
The Allegheny was one of the largest steam locomotives ever built. It weighs 600 tons and is 125 feet long. The locomotive was built in 1941 in Lima, Ohio, for the Chesapeake & Ohio Railroad. The C&O's fleet of Allegheny locomotives was used to bring coal from West Virginia over the Allegheny Mountains to the manufacturing centers of the North. These engines could haul 160 coal cars - each with a 60-ton load - at speeds averaging 40 to 50 miles per hour. By 1956, all of the Alleghenys had been retired, replaced by more economical diesel locomotives. Number 1601 was the second Allegheny constructed, and came to the museum in 1956 after logging 407,008 miles of service. 6" w x 4" h.